Sunday, December 14, 2008

Is That All There Is?

At the risk of sounding super depressing, Sunday was my BIG DAY OFF from junior and I WASTED it all away. Yes, these concepts deserve CAPITAL letters.

First (actually, the story is so lame, there is no "second"), first, second and last, the couch kidnapped me and FORCED me to rewatch for the 3rd time (the 3RD TIME!) a schlocky daytime movie that I've seen, well, 3 times!- and on a Sunday!

And it wasn't even true daytime television because it was the weekend. And that's just lame.

And it wasn't even on HBO!

Nor was it Lifetime channel, which I admit I LOVE because they are cheap Canadian-made productions starring washed-up Americans. And they are conceived, cast, shot, and edited in a matter of minutes in the dead of night in undisclosed locations so that no one discovers the shame that is the production and the forgotten celebrities featured in them.

My favorite so far is Road Rage: "2 housewives engage in deadly road rage that leaves one of them dead." OH-MY-GOD. It was incredible. I will not spoil the obvious end, BUT I will say the ENTIRE movie was just that - road rage. And a bunch of road rage acting. Grrr. I'm so mad while I'm driving. Amazing.

And it wasn't a bad channel, it wasn't a good channel, something innocuous and forgettable with lots of annoying commercials.

Normally, my excuse would be, I'm a "housewife", but on a weekend?

Even true housewives have enough of a life on their weekends to avoid mid-afternoon dramas (on tv, at least). There was just no excuse.

And I had HUGE plans - well, plans - that at least involved leaving the house.

But every time I made a move for the front door, visions of ME in a coffee shop, ME in a clothing store, ME on the street, ME anywhere, but on the couch looked - just - awful.

So there I lay, feet up, several pillows squeezed behind my lazy head with the beautiful day's sunlight blasting through the window, bouncing off the tv screen and smashing me in the face with its satisfied sunny self.

And as guilty and self hating and crappy as I felt, I had a REALLY GOOD TIME!

I laughed I cried. I was entertained. And I swear, next time I get this baby-free opportunity, it'll be different. Yes, it will. I will take that day and seize it!

Yeah, right.

Dare to dream.

No comments: