Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I am officially questioning the efficacy of "bedtime routines"

Every night, I methodically do things in the same exact order -- dinner, bath, pjs, a little playtime, rocking in dark bedroom, singing (badly!), last bottle -- leading up to bedtime. The books tell me that if I am consistent, Junior will know that A leads to B which leads to C which leads to sleeping. Well let's just say that falling asleep without a little bit (or a lot!) of a fight is not Junior's strong suit.

Today, I picked him up from the Manny, came home, let him chase the cat around for a while, skipped the bath, didn't rock or sing, and guess what? He fell asleep after about 5 seconds of whimpering.

Tomorrow I'm going to give him his bath at lunchtime, his dinner for breakfast and take him for our afternoon playdate at bedtime. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: